The last two weeks have gone by in an absolute blur. So much has happened, and I’ve barely had a moment to even think about updating this… and I’m sure this won’t be the last time this happens!
It’s now the second of January, 2017. Yowsers. How did that happen exactly?
I feel like 2016 got a lot of bad press… everywhere I look there’s commentary focused on all the negativity the world experienced- from Brexit, to Trump, to Aleppo; and a whole host of other situations, incidents and outcomes. But whilst all of this has (or will shortly) affected a whole host of people, from a purely selfish perspective I had a bloody wonderful 2016.
- The year began with me starting a new chapter in my life, moving to a new bit of London with two complete stranger (and then a few more!), one of whom I now count as one of my closest friends
- I had amazing experiences career wise, working on fascinating projects with fabulous clients and colleagues, moving offices and embracing a new way of working (viva la co-working space).
- I stuck to my annual goal of running two half marathons- so can still tell myself I ran a marathon… ahem…
- I dusted off my backpack and traveled around around Sri Lanka with two megababes,soaking up the culture, the food, the landscapes and experiencing wild elephants and blue whales
- There were hen-dos and weddings left, right and center- each one beautifully unique and magical
- I got to spend more and more time of my favourite person in the whole world- we explored new bits of our own country, traveled around Morocco (sleeping under the stars in the Sahara desert in a Berber camp is pretty high up on the best memories list), we festival-ed, we ate, we drank, we played, we planned, we sang, we danced, we debated and we agreed that life’s too short to call it quits just because of a little logistical inconvenience
- And to top it all off, I moved to the other side of the world, started a new job, found a new house and have been lucky enough to meet some pretty fab people who have made the transition so much easier
So amongst the hate… I just wanted to make a point that yes if you read the newspapers and believe everything you see in your Facebook feed you could be forgiven for thinking that 2016 was a really shitty year, but I’m sure a lot of people can look back at the last twelve months and find some amazingly positive experiences and memories that have helped them to grow, or discover something new about themselves or the world around them.
Thanks for being awesome 2016, and 2017- let’s see what you’ve got in store 🙂